Folsom guard who brought cellphones to inmates gets jail | Crime
SACRAMENTO, CA - A prison guard who pled no contest to sneaking in cellphones to inmates in return for money was sentenced to 90 days in jail and three years of probation.
Robert Chaiyarat said he needed the money, $8,641, after a costly divorce.
When caught with eight cellphones and chargers under his duty vest as he went to work at California State Prison Sacramento (Folsom), Chaiyarat confessed, according to the Sacramento County District Attorney's Office. He resigned from the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation and Beale Air Force Base in Marysville where he also worked and had a top secret security clearance.
In addition to the jail time and probation, Chaiyarat was ordered to pay restitution to CDRC of $8,641.
Upcoming Events near Folsom / Orangevale
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Recipe: Quinoa, Egg & Veggie Breakfast Bites (and a Breakfast Challenge!)
- Dining News: Aji Japanese Bistro in El Dorado Hills 'Still Finding Its Voice'
- UPDATE: 4th of July Lake Tahoe fireworks show will continue
- Complete list of school closures for Tuesday, April 1, 2014
- Calif. snowpack survey forebodes tough summer