Why you may want to double check your next Chipotle bill | News
One of America's leading burrito chains was caught pinching customers' pennies recently.
An article in the Huffington Post revealed two conscientious New Jersey Chipotle customers noticed their checks were rounded up to the nearest even amount.
When Star-Ledger reporter, Karen Price, investigated the claim, she found Chipotle's registers did indeed round up, as well as down to the nearest nickel.
"The idea is simply to limit the possible combinations of change on cash transactions to keep the lines moving quickly in high volume areas," spokesman Chris Arnold informed the Star-Ledger.
Arnold later told the New York Times that Chipotle has not seen any profit from the practice.
Nevertheless, New Jersey Chipotle locations changed their practice August 1, vowing to only round checks down.
No information was provided on whether California Chipotle restaurants followed the same practice, and if so, whether they would continue rounding up customer bills.
Top Folsom / Orangevale Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Join Safe Kids Celebration May 18
- Thrifting: Off to Denios We go
- Sierra College Foster Youth to Benefit from event: Glitz, Glamour, and Girlfriends
- Matt Redding Memorial Golf Tournament set for June 17 at Whitney Oaks Golf Club
- Steve Budiono Joins Community 1st Bank as Senior Vice President/Senior Relationship Manager